The application period for 2022 entry is now closed. Applications for 2023 entry will open in late 2022.
Who are we looking for?
The Malengo Program prepares Ugandan Secondary School Graduates for admission to an English-speaking Bachelor’s program at a German university, and provides help with financing. We are specifically looking to support students who have limited means and could not otherwise afford to study at a university. The goal of the program is not student exchange; rather, we want to support students who want to complete a full BA degree in Germany.
Any young person resident in ANY PLACE in Uganda with a UCE and UACE certificate obtained in the last 4 years and from eligible districts. Your school is in an eligible district and your UACE certificate would qualify for the years 2023-2027. The UACE certificate must show at least two principal passes. Better grades improve your chances.
Who is eligible?
You can apply if you fulfill the following criteria:
- You hold a Ugandan Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) that was issued within 6 years before the application deadline. For example, with an application deadline of January 15, 2023, your UACE must have been issued after January 15, 2017. You must hold the certificate at the time of application; we cannot wait for the issuance of certificates. Your UACE must also have been issued in one of the eligible districts, which are listed here.
- You do not yet hold a Bachelor’s degree.
- You read, write, and speak good English.
- You come from a background of limited means. We will check this during the application process. If you’re unsure if you qualify, we recommend applying regardless.
- You are motivated to work hard to succeed at a German university and integrate yourself into your community there.
The Application Process
Here is our 2021 application process, step by step:
- December 1, 2021: Application portal opens.
You can now submit your application! We will ask you to fill out a questionnaire asking about your motivation, your educational background, your current living situation and household details/assets, and which of the eligible programs you want to study.
- January 15, 2022: Application deadline.
The application portal closes at 5pm Kampala time.
- January 31, 2022: Interview invitations.
If we rank your application highly, we will invite you to an in-person or phone/online interview. At this time we may also ask you to submit additional documentation. In particular, we will ask for recommendation letters and (optionally) guarantor letters. You can read more about guarantors on our FAQ page.
- February 15, 2022: Deadline for recommendation letters and guarantor letters.
The portal to upload these letters closes at 5pm Kampala time.
March–April 2022: Extended interviews.
Together with our research partners, we will conduct an additional series of interviews to get to know you and your family better.
April 2022: Decision announcement. [Subject to change slightly]Sometime in April, we will inform you whether your application was successful. We will also send you details of the income share agreement we are offering you.
We will also let you know if you made the reserve list, or if we cannot offer you a spot.